You’re in Austin. That’s already one step in the right direction. If you want to take another step in the right direction, jump on a bike and head to East Austin. East Austin is rich with a distinctive culture that is a unique blend of its past and present that has created the blossoming area that it is today. You will find yourself immersed in an area that is filled with countless shops, music and entertainment options, as well as mouth-watering restaurants (and, of course, food trucks)! There is no doubt that visiting East Austin give you a taste of what Austin is all about.
Music & Entertainment
1) The White Horse is a traditional country honky tonk with a bike rack out front that is usually full. The acts are mostly local, the dance floor is packed, the people are friendly, the drinks are cheap and the tacos in the truck out back are very good. You don’t need a cowboy hat as the crowd is very diverse at this east side bar. There is usually a small cover on the weekends, and free dancing lessons are also provided as well.
Hours and Details for Visiting The White Horse:
- Open 3pm-2am daily
- Free two-step lessons at 7pm most Saturday nights
- Must be 21 or over
2) Stay Gold is a modern, intimate venue for craft cocktails and beers with live music. On any given night, you can walk in and catch a funky-soul artist from New Orleans, a string quartet from France, or a mellow indie rock band from Michigan. Of course, Stay Gold is also a popular venue for many local Austin artists and bands. Aside from the music, Stay Gold has great food and drinks with additional seating out back. You can take a break from the music and enjoy anything off of their food truck, Toaster's, menu or order something off the extensive drink menu. The live music paired with great food and drinks makes this the perfect stop to end any bike ride.
Hours and Details for Visiting Stay Gold:
- Open Monday-Friday 3pm-2am
- Open Saturday-Sunday 12pm-2am
3) Canopy is a large creative community set within a redeveloped east Austin warehouse. The property consists of 45 small studios, 3 galleries, several offices, and a cafe/coffee shop. This set-up is meant to portray the connectedness between art, culture, and the public. The multi-functional communal spaces also opens up room for collaboration and engagement. As you see, even Canopy's architecture is art. A popular gallery within Canopy that many people enjoy experiencing is Big Medium, which supports and promotes contemporary art in Texas. Canopy also has plenty of parking and bike racks.
Hours and Details for Visiting Canopy (Big Medium Gallery):
- Monday-Saturday 12pm-6pm
- Closed Sundays
4) grayDUCK gallery is a recently founded gallery that is located in refurbished 100 year-old house. The architecture is a mixture of old and new with clean lines and comfortable wood. The grayDUCK has monthly shows that that highlight artists' work from a range of experiences, both locally and nationally. The beautiful space is home for not just artwork, but also poetry readings, film, music, and performance!
Hours and Details for visiting grayDUCK gallery:
- Thursday-Saturday 11am-6pm
- Sunday 12pm-5pm
Food and Drink
5) Paperboy is the perfect food truck to grab some breakfast food and coffee. They offer a menu with produce and dairy from local farms and bread from local bakeries. As you can tell, Paperboy is all about supporting local suppliers and businesses! Paperboy also has a cozy patio that joins the vibrant scene of Austin's growing east 11th street neighborhood. Overall, Paperboy has a laid back vibe and will give you a quintessential Austin food truck experience!
Hours and Details for Visiting Paperboy:
- Tuesday-Friday 7am-2pm
- Saturday-Sunday 8am-2pm
- Closed Mondays
6) The Veracruz All Natural Taco Truck makes some of the best tacos in town, hands down. The tortillas and salsas are all made in “house” and the ingredients are top-notch. Expect a wait on the weekend and at lunch time, but it’s worth it. A favorite of many customers are the migas taco and the chorizo and nopales taco. Their fresh fruit drinks are perfect for washing your tacos down.
Hours and Details for Visiting The Veracruz All Natural Taco Truck:
- Open daily from 8am-3pm